Located in DeKalb County, AL, Crossville Health and Rehabilitation (CHR) is a nursing home that bills itself as a “wonderful alternative to a traditional long-term care and rehabilitation facility.”
Septic System Background
Crossville Health and Rehabilitation has an on-site lagoon responsible for collecting, partially treating, and retaining up to 12,000 gallons of wastewater per day. For years, the facility regularly sent its treated effluent into a local community stream.
However, during the summer, the flow from this nearby stream would dry up, resulting in more contaminant buildup along protected waterways and making it difficult for CHR to meet the stricter seasonal discharge standards established by the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM).
As a result, the CHR facility began accruing punitive fines. This situation not only deprived CHR of valuable financial resources, but it also put local waterways at risk as untreated effluent continued to jeopardize area streams and aquifers.
Septic System Solution
Crossville Health and Rehabilitation eventually reached out to Judith Pike, P.E. from Highland Technical Engineering to have her assess the situation and develop a solution that was both cost-effective and environmentally friendly.
After careful analysis, Pike explored several competing solutions before deciding on Advanced Enviro-Septic® wastewater treatment system to resolve CHR’s wastewater management needs. Key factors in her decision-making included:
- Spatial Constraints – Advanced Enviro-Septic® technology’s compact design makes it ideally suited for projects with limited real estate.
- Cost Savings – Compared to conventional septic solutions, the Advanced Enviro-Septic® system is much cheaper to install.
- Minimal Maintenance – Unlike other septic systems, the Advanced Enviro-Septic® product doesn’t rely on the underlying soil, moving parts, or chemical additives to treat effluent. Instead, the cleansing process happens internally using a bacterial ecosystem and passive treatment, so the environmental impact of using Advanced Enviro-Septic® pipe is negligible. With no moving parts, electricity or chemicals, this wastewater solution is safer, easier, and less expensive to operate over time.
In addition, Crossville Health and Rehabilitation has 2 separate flows from the main facility. Addressing both exit ports would have been a costly fix for most wastewater management technologies, but thanks to its modular design, the Advanced Enviro-Septic® system scales easily, allowing installers to add the requisite treatment capacity for both flows.
Once the project began, CHR installed a new wastewater treatment system that consisted of 3 separate beds:
- 2 were responsible for treating 5,000 gallons (each) per day. Both of these beds were installed at a gradient.
- 1 bed was installed to treat another 2,000 gallons of effluent per day. This treatment bed was installed evenly at ground level.
The total installation used 6,400 feet of Advanced Enviro-Septic® pipe.
Septic System Result
Once installed, the Advanced Enviro-Septic® treatment beds begin delivering measurable benefits for Crossville Health and Rehabilitation and its residents:
- The facility was able to easily meet the wastewater treatment levels of the ADEM.
- Crossville Health and Rehabilitation saved money by not having to pay punitive fees and damages for sending insufficiently treated wastewater into nearby streams.
- CHR saved even more money thanks to the Advanced Enviro-Septic® system’s affordable installation costs and minimal maintenance requirements. This represents money the nursing home can now devote to other needed improvements.
- The facility was able to conserve limited real estate without having to commission costly excavations.
Are you looking for similar results with your own home, business, or community?
To learn how Advanced Enviro-Septic® technology can help, contact us today for a free consultation.
The first installation went in pretty quick, the second was even easier, by the third, the entire crew said, ‘Don’t design anything else!’ After 15 years, our customers are 100% satisfied.Larry Rexford, NH Licensed Designer & Installer Wendell Rexford & Sons Construction, Inc.